Blogs > Best Seat In The House

Jason Carmel Davis is a copy editor/page designer with the Oakland Press and Heritage Newspapers. Davis has also written a number of offbeat sports columns for other publications, as he has an unhealthy obsession with all things athletics. It's so unhealthy that he has planned the births of his (future) children around Bowl Season, the Super Bowl, the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament and the NBA and NFL drafts.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Is this MSU's year?

I'm a very, VERY superstitious person when it comes to the Michigan State basketball team.

I always tell myself, and whoever will listen to me without punching me in the kidneys, that we're gonna lose every tournament game. Some might look at it like reverse psychology, I call it hoping for the best and expecting the worst.

Basketball makes me a nervous wreck. It got so bad during the Elite Eight match-up against Tennessee that I had my back turned to the TV for the last 10 seconds of the game. For the entire second half, I shook like somebody with warrants during a routine traffic stop. My knees were shaking so badly that they sounded like I was constantly banging two rocks together.

My friends and I are all spread out since Graduation. The shaking got so bad Sunday that when Tennessee's Scotty Hopson stepped to the free throw line late in the game, a text I sent one of my best friends read like this: "I'm nnot watchsin the enxt free throw. I cant ype because skahingi"

And, yes, I do realize it's unhealthy to reach that level of anxiety because of a basketball game.

Now, since we're in our sixth Final Four since 1999 and second straight, with no squad as talented as last year's North Carolina team left in the field, I can't help but be a little optimistic.

I only need to look at the venue (Indianapolis) and a couple other interesting tidbits for that inspiration.

-We're playing in a city where coach Tom Izzo is undefeated (7-0) in NCAA Tournament games.
-Last time MSU played in a Final Four in the Circle City, 2000, the team cut down the nets after winning the school's second national title.
-In 1979, the year the Spartans captured their first national title, MSU played a mid-major team from Indiana (Indiana State) with a versatile forward who had the look of an NBA prospect (Larry Bird).
-In 2010, State is playing a mid-major team from Indiana (Butler) with a versatile forward who could be a pro (Gordon Hayward).
-In 2000, MSU in its national semifinal game was matched up against a team known for its lockdown defense in Wisconsin, which State beat, 53-41.
-Saturday, the Spartans will be matched up against a team in Butler that hasn't given up more than 59 points in four games so far during this tournament. MSU has proven to be one of the few teams in the tournament that can play fast or slow.
-In 2000, only one "blue-blood" program, besides MSU, made it to that year's Final Four: North Carolina, which made its 15th appearance that spring. Florida and Wisconsin both were making their second appearances.
-In 2010, only one "blue-blood" program, besides MSU (eight Final Fours), made it to this years Final Four: Duke, making its 15th appearance. This weekend's games mark the first and second Final Fours for Butler and West Virginia, respectively.

It's not in my nature to pick us to win, but I can't help be confident with all the parallels between the past and this weekend. All week, talking heads, newspapers columnists and radio show callers have made a big deal about the fact MSU has won each of its four tournament games by a total of 13 points and the fact that the Spartans have trailed in the second half of each game. Wouldn't you go with the team that can win a close game?

Some people have said next year is the year for MSU, with the highly-touted recruiting class the Spartans have coming in and the returnees on the roster. People said the same thing about Duke in 1991 - that '92 was the Blue Devils year. Duke won back-to-back titles in those two years. I think the same will happen for the Spartans.

Predictions
Semifinal One
MSU-74
Butler-67

Semifinal Two
Duke-78
West Virginia-73

National Championship
MSU-79
Duke-75

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go put everything I have on Butler.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home