Blogs > Best Seat In The House

Jason Carmel Davis is a copy editor/page designer with the Oakland Press and Heritage Newspapers. Davis has also written a number of offbeat sports columns for other publications, as he has an unhealthy obsession with all things athletics. It's so unhealthy that he has planned the births of his (future) children around Bowl Season, the Super Bowl, the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament and the NBA and NFL drafts.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

NBA Jam still lots of fun

One of my all-time favorite video games is NBA Jam.

At Christmas '93, AB (my mom) got me a Sega Game Gear and a few games. The one I played the most was NBA Jam.

Like most kids, I got sick of it after about five or six days and moved on to something new. I thought about it every once in a while, but I was over the game. That was until a few months ago when I heard EA Sports will release a new version of the game for the Nintendo Wii later this year that I will be sure to check out.

Around that same time, a buddy of mine must've gotten the itch for some 16-bit action. The night of the NBA All-Star Saturday events, my roommate and I went to this friend's house to watch the Dunk Contest. It was a regular night for us: some libations, surfing the Web looking for "talent" (My All-Time Top 5: Halle Berry, Marilyn Monroe, Pam Grier, Jessica Alba and Kim Kardashian), and lots of **** talking.

That spilled over when my roommate (Skeegs) challenged our friend Brian to a game of...yep, NBA Jam. Brian pulled his Sega Genesis out, which was kind of like seeing somebody walking up the street today with a Zach Morris cell phone. I played a couple times and got ran. Skeegs was able to hold is own, even though Brian had probably practiced all afternoon (He says he didn't. I know better). Those two "battled" that night and played six or seven games until about 2 a.m.

A couple weeks ago, Skeegs and I went over to Brian's to watch some games with him and his wife - another friend of ours. Around 11 o'clock, Brian pulled the Genesis out (seriously, who still has a Sega Genesis?) and he and Skeegs went at it again. These two have developed a full-fledged rivalry that is comparable to the Spartans and Persians. The games are more intense than Heat/Knicks games from the mid- to late-90s. Skeegs would lose and wanna run it back. Brian would lose, blame it on the controller he used and make Skeegs switch with him. Things got so heated that, at one point, Brian tried to cut Skeegs' thumbs off with a steak knife. Well, not really, but you get the point, right?

Who knew something that today seems so primitive could provide so much fun (and provide the base of an interesting drinking game - with Capri Sun, of course)?

Hopefully the new version of NBA Jam is as fun as the original.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home