Blogs > Best Seat In The House

Jason Carmel Davis is a copy editor/page designer with the Oakland Press and Heritage Newspapers. Davis has also written a number of offbeat sports columns for other publications, as he has an unhealthy obsession with all things athletics. It's so unhealthy that he has planned the births of his (future) children around Bowl Season, the Super Bowl, the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament and the NBA and NFL drafts.

Friday, April 16, 2010

NBA Playoffs fuel my unhealthy obsession

When the NBA Playoffs tip off tomorrow afternoon, it'll signal the start of my favorite two-month stretch of the year.

The length of the playoffs is a huge reason I have already planned when I'll start my family. The whole thing will, hopefully, start in June - after the NBA Draft - and culminate with the birth of each of my children sometime in February each time my wife and I conceive.

I'm not selfish about it, either. I figure June is a good starting point, because no woman wants to walk around carrying 50-80 extra pounds in the late stages of pregnancy in the middle of a hot summer. She'll appreciate the extra cushion when we're tailgating in 30-degree weather in the fall, too. And February is a good ending point because the NBA and College Basketball are both in the "dog days" of the season and there's really nothing else going on. Oh, and family vacations can only be taken in the weeks following the NBA Draft and leading up to the start of College Football.

That's my logic. Nobody can tell me I'm wrong. And I know there's at least one woman out there who's dense enough to agree with me.

2010 NBA Playoff storylines
-Will Boston show up for an extended postseason run or go out early?
-Will the Lakers bench get back to the level of last year?
-Is all the wear and tear starting to catch up with Kobe Bryant?
-Can Cleveland beat Orlando?
-The entire country FINALLY being able to see Oklahoma City in action
-Can Dwyane Wade win a series by himself?
-Is this it for the Spurs?
-How will Denver do if George Karl isn't able to coach in the postseason?
-Can Portland put up any semblance of a fight against Phoenix without Brandon Roy?
-The country being able to see so many young guns (Kevin Durant, Jeff Green, Russell Westbrook, Ty Lawson, Brandon Jennings, Rajon Rondo) do their thing.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous chris edwards said...

I could be wrong,but this could be Boston's last stand.Even though they have a couple of young players that are pretty good,the supporting cast isn't good enough to lift the Celtics to the promised land.Thy're still reliant on the big 3 of Pierce,Garnett,and Allen and I don't think that's gonna be enough.I have a post in my blog back in February about the Celtics.

April 16, 2010 at 10:31 PM 
Blogger Jason Carmel Davis said...

I think it is, too. I didn't like it that Ainge basically mortgaged the next decade to win one title. It was good when it happened, but Boston will be back to being an afterthought around the league as early as next season.

April 19, 2010 at 1:05 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home